Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First time foraging for Shrooms


Hilarious picture of some mycologist and some morels.

I have been very interested in foraging for wild edibles and today I took my first mushroom walk without any direction from more seasoned mushroom hunters. I checked out the woods behind my house, a state forest that is about 400-600 acres. The forest used to be utilized as a cross country skiing conglomerate of trails, however, it has long since been turned over to daytime hikers, motorsport riders, and to the forest itself.


I went on a super awesome walk with my puppy!

I know this isn't the season for most mushrooms, but in some reading I was doing, I found out it was Morel season, a mushroom that brings in about 40$/lb. at a regular market. They are also very tasty, so I wanted to try my luck.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any, but I have been encouraged to continue looking. But I did not come back empty handed!



I found two oyster mushrooms! Its really not enough to do much with but I was happy to have been able to identify it even without looking specifically for it. These mushrooms have very few dangerous look alikes and they have a very distinct, but mild anise aroma about them. I am not sure what I will do with them, but I think I am going hunting again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment