Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Almond-coconut Rhubarb Croustade--GF DF V


In anticipation of Miss Danae, aka the Vegan, coming home for the summer and the fact that I must make a chocolate cake for my son's birthday on Sunday, which will NOT be vegan or gluten free, because he is not, I decided that I would make something with my fresh from the garden rhubarb.

Since being gluten free is new to me and I haven't had much experience baking GF let alone GF, dairy free(me) and vegan(Danae) this was a challenge. And one that I was up for! I have been thinking about making this croustade for a few weeks, and finally all the components came into my mind. So without further ado, I give to you, Almond-coconut Rhubarb Croustade.

-------Crust--------
  • 1 cup brown rice flour mix
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 1/3 c almond meal/flour
  • 1/3 c toasted and coarsely ground almonds
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp xantham gum
  • 8 Tbsp of coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp cold water

-------Filling-------

  • 4-5 cups sliced rhubarb
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp earth balance "non dairy butter"
  • coarsely ground toasted almonds

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. For the crust, mix the dry ingredients. Add the coconut oil and mix with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs form. Add the wet ingredients and mix until it forms a ball, adding more water if necessary. Roll dough out on the cookie sheet with a well seasoned rolling pin (meaning, it should be somewhat oiled from rolling pie crusts) Set aside.

Put the sliced rhubarb in a bowl and add the sugar, lemon juice and zest until well combined. Add the earth balance "non dairy butter" and mix well. Place the filling in the middle of the rolled out dough and spread to side leaving around an inch or two. Fold the edges over to cover the side of the filling. Sprinkle with the coarsely ground almonds and a little bit of sugar. Bake for approx. 45 minutes (or until done) The filling should be bubbling the rhubarb will be soft and the crust, nicely browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment